Granny Tess' Soda Bread
Servings: 2 loafs
- 1 mug of self raising flour
- 2 mugs of wholemeal flour
- 1 mug of bran
- 1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Big pinch of salt
- 700 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix all the wet ingredients in a jug together.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated. The mixture should be fairly wet and dropping off the spoon. If it’s too dry add some more milk and if its too wet add some more flour.
- Grease your loaf tins with butter and spread the mixture evenly between the two tins.
- Sprinkle over some extra bran and a little drizzle of vegetable oil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After this remove the bread from the tins. Turn them upside down and place them back in the oven. Turn the oven down to 150 degrees and leave for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool before carving. The Hollands like ours with butter and marmalade/jam or with cream cheese and smoked salmon.