Chicken Dijonnaise – Date Night #2 Full recipe on my website
Servings: 2 people
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp of plain flour
- 100 ml white wine
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp of creme fraiche
- 2 tsp of dijon mustard
- A handful of chopped parsley
- 100 g lardons
- 100 g sliced button mushrooms
- 3 king Edward potatoes
- 300 g spinach
- 1 large handful of chopped asparagus or any green veg
- Peel and grate the potatoes and place in a tea towel in a colander. Season generously with salt and pepper and leave for 5 minutes. Then pick up each end of the tea towel and squeeze out all moisture from the potato.
- Form the potatoes into circular discs and place into a hot frying pan with vegetable oil. Once golden brown on each side place of a baking sheet ready to be reheated.
- Finely chop the onion and sweat it in a large pot with a knob of butter. Season with salt and cook it low and slow until completely soft.
- In the meantime mince your garlic and chop your mushrooms.
- Once the onions are soft add in the garlic and flour and cook for a minute. Then add your wine and stock slowly whilst stirring continuously and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fry the lardons and mushrooms in the same pan until golden brown and set aside.
- Finish the sauce with creme fraiche, mustard and the mushrooms and lardons. Taste and season and set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place skin side down into a hot frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Once golden brown, flip it and add a knob of butter along with some crushed garlic cloves and thyme. Once the butter is beginning to turn brown remove and place onto another baking sheet. Leave to cool at room temperature before putting in the fridge
- These steps should be completed ahead of time for date night. Get the messy stuff out of the way, clean the kitchen and get ready. All that needs to be done before you plate is to reheat the chicken, potatoes and sauce and cook some greens. Now you can enjoy time with your partner and don’t have to stress.
- Place the chicken and potato Rosti’s into an oven at 180 degrees celsius for 7- 8 minutes. Use the third chicken breast as a tester to see if its cooked.
- Place your sauce on a low heat to gradually come up to temperature and finish with the chopped parsley.
- Place the chopped asparagus into a hot frying pan, season with salt and cook for 1 minute. Then add the spinach and cook it down. Season with salt and pepper and your now ready to plate.
- Once the chicken is cooked and rested, carve your chicken and place on the plate, followed by the Rosti and greens.
- Spoon over all that delicious sauce and don’t be stingy with the lardons or mushrooms.