Take your meatball sub game to the next level with this fantastic recipe.
Servings: 4 sandwiches
For the sauce
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml of red wine
- Handful of basil
For the meatballs
- 500 g minced beef
- Small handful of chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- Handful of parmesan
- Handful of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- For the sandwich
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Finely dice the onion and sweat with a small knob of butter in a saucepan.
- Once soft to the bite add your minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add your tomato puree and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Then add your chopped tomatoes and wine and bubble away for 30 minutes.
- Use to hand blender to bits until smooth and then fold through the fresh basil.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs and use to hands to mix well.
- Top tip. Take a small portion of the meatball mix and fry in a frying pan. Once cooked taste to check for seasoning. If its under seasoned add extra salt. However if its over seasoned you can add more minced beef.
- Once happy with the seasoning you can shape your meatballs.
- Once shapes fry in a hot frying pan until golden brown on each side. Add the meatballs to the sauce to to finish the cooking. Simmer for 5 minutes in the sauce.
- To assemble the sandwich. Layer the meatballs and the sauce onto the bread and add some fresh basil and mozzarella cheese. Place under a hot grill to toast the bread and melt the cheese.